The Workwear Edit
with Natalie Steen
Photos by Leah Walker Wilson
As some of us return to the office and some continue to work from home, we turned to our friend Natalie Steen to show us how she’s dressing in style this autumn. The Texas-based lawyer wears many hats as the mom to her toddler, Whit, and the creator behind one of our favorite shopping newsletters, The Nat Note. Be it a morning at the office, a Zoom call from home, or a school event for her son, Natalie relies on women's fall fashion that’s supremely wearable and versatile. Keep reading to learn more about Natalie and her favorite fall outfits.
1. Describe your style in three words: Classic-but-Funky
2. Who are your style icons: Giovanna Battaglia & Aerin Lauder
3. Personal mantra: Watch with glittering eyes (borrowing from Roald Dahl here)
4. Favorite color: Green
5. Favorite Fall Activities: Call me crazy, but I love me some Scorpio season. This month and early next I'll be celebrating my husband's and son's birthdays, my wedding anniversary, and my favorite - Halloween. I entertain any excuse for a costume and am looking forward to seeing my son trick-or-treat for the first time.
6. Work From Home Must-Haves: A portable Wi-Fi device! On any given day, I'm not just working from home - but also from my favorite lunch spot, the carpool line or the passenger seat during a road trip. Being able to stay connected from wherever I am makes working remotely possible (and less of a bore).
7. How Have You Adapted The Way You Dress For Work Now That Your Home Is Your Office? I've taken a more relaxed approach to my workwear since "going virtual" in March. I've swapped my formal, corporate-law ensembles for more casual pieces (denim, flats, non-dry-clean-only pieces) that work just as well for Zoom calls as they do for school drop-offs, running errands, and coffee dates.
8. Tell Us About The Fall Outfits You Styled? J.McLaughlin nails the neutral, versatile staples - and the Audrey blazer, Nova vest, Arlette turtleneck and Becca leggings are pieces that will be in heavy rotation for the next few months. I love how all these items lend themselves to personalization by the wearer because they allow for a wide range of accessorizing - just add a scarf, a colorful bag, fun jewelry, or a bold lip.
9. What Fashion And Style Trends Are You Most Excited About: Everything's coming up maximalist - and I love it. I'm most excited about dusting off the party clothes that have been hibernating in my closet for the greater part of this year and piling it all on for any occasion.